The new SFMoMA: Something for every generation!

0 Flares Filament.io 0 Flares ×
We took our teenage art scholar - and the extended family - to the new SFMOMA. The museum's goal is to make the art of our time a meaningful part of public life.

We took our teenage art scholar – and the extended family – to the new SFMOMA. The museum’s goal is to make the art of our time a meaningful part of public life.

A day out with the whole family can be challenging: The kids want to be entertained, grandma gets tired easily and the aunt has very specific dietary requirements!

The newly transformed and extended San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) turned out to be a big hit for The Extended Modern Family.

With three times more gallery space and collection of more than 33,000 works of architecture and design, media arts, painting, photography and sculpture – there was really something for everyone.

I was impressed for the FREE admission for visitors 18 and younger – it shows a real commitment to fostering the next generation of art lovers.

My 82-year-old mother was impressed with the attention given to seniors. We borrowed a cane/chair for her – so whenever she got tired she could rest in her seat.

My 14-year-old art enthusiast loved the contemporary and modern art, sculpture and photography. She came away inspired and with ideas for new methods to try out.

The younger girls loved using Boomerang for some very colourful Snapchat sessions. SFMOMA is Instagram heaven – there’s a photo op around every corner!

And my paleo-crazy sister found a perfect menu choice.

All in all – it was a very successful day!

tktkt

SFMOMA is dedicated fostering creativity and embracing new ways of seeing the world. My girls had fun capturing their moment on Snapchat and Instagram!

My 82-year-old mother’s perspective

Visiting SFMoMA was a multigenerational experience and surprisingly pleasurable for all of us, despite slight disagreement on plans of action i.e. which exhibits to visit. From my point-of-view as the “eldest” of the group – the best “pick” was the handy-dandy stool that doubled as a walking aide if needed. The best “visual description” was the giant apple core – a rather graphic portrait of the inevitable discard. A big thank you to the museum for in recognition of the elder visitors most appreciated offering – the folding walking chair!

tktkt

Admiring Dennis Adams’ Patricia Hearst: A thru Z.

My 14-year-old’s perspective

I really enjoyed visiting the SFMoMA. There was a huge variety of modern and contemporary art, including photography, painting and sculptures. One of my favourite artist’s work that I saw was Chuck Close, which was part of the Fisher collection. I liked his painting so much because he used abstract shapes to create a realistic portrait, combining two major types in art. Inspired by him,  am now planning on creating a painting similar to his style!

tktktkt

Andy Warhol, Triple Elvis [Ferus type], 1963

SFMOMA - yellow

Smile for mummy!!

Contemplating Brian Nauman's Life Death/Knows Doesn't Know art installation with neon tubing / clear glass

Contemplating Brian Nauman’s Life Death/Knows Doesn’t Know art installation with neon tubing / clear glass

My paleo-obsessed sister had grilled salmon with kale and quinoa salad in a citrus dressing.

Where to eat:

Three restaurants Including InSitu by Michelin three-star Chef Corey Lee. We ate in Cafe 5 (on the fifth floor!) which serves light, California-fusion fare and you can eat inside or in an outside in the culture garden. My paleo-obsessed sister had grilled salmon with kale and quinoa salad in a citrus dressing, the under 12s ate from the kids menu (chicken burger) and my 82-year-old mother, who has a tiny appetite, ordered from the kids menu too and had grilled cheese with melon. It was perfect for everyone.

SFMOMA has something for everyone – including preteens! @sfmoma! #boomerang #familytravel

A video posted by Susanna Scott ~ travel (@amodernmother) on

IF YOU GO:

San Francisco Museum of Modern Art SFMoMA 151 3rd St, San Francisco, CA 94103 +1  (415) 357-4000 sfmoma.org

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Filament.io 0 Flares ×

19 Responses to The new SFMoMA: Something for every generation!

1. Corey with fifi + hop 09/10/2016 at 22:40 #

Not sure if my first reply went through sorry if this is a repeat..but love that the SF Moma is 18 and under. I miss visiting it when I lived out in SF. A wonderful museum. #CultureKids

2. Corey with fifi + hop 09/10/2016 at 22:36 #

18 and under admission for free is a great thing. Prompted me to look up Moma’s (in NY) and it’s 16 and under. I used to love visiting SF Moma when I lived there. Nice to read about its expansion and upgrades. #CultureKids

3. tots2travel 08/10/2016 at 18:27 #

To have walking aids/seats for those less mobile and free access for under 18s really encourages all ages and people to visit. Everyone is welcome. Great location for all the family, whatever the weather too!
    #culturedkids
    tots2travel recently posted…Glamping at Dundas Castle, EdinburghMy Profile

4. Cathy (Mummytravels) 07/10/2016 at 17:31 #

They really seem to have thought it through – free entry for under 18s is wonderful and the handy seat is a lovely thought. Lots to see, definitely one for my list when we make it back to the city. #culturedkids
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…Take 12 trips 2016: 9 months downMy Profile

5. Catherine's Cultural Wednesdays 07/10/2016 at 13:35 #

Free entry for under 18’s is such a sound investment for museums, if children get the bug when they are young hopefully they will continue to visit and pay as adults!
    #culturedkids
    Catherine’s Cultural Wednesdays recently posted…MAÍNO’S ADORATIONS: HEAVEN ON EARTH at the National GalleryMy Profile

6. Mini Travellers/FuelledbyLatte 07/10/2016 at 08:08 #

I love all the photos of the kids with their grandma and what a fab idea to loan out cane chairs. I could do with one of those myself when visiting art galleries as I love looking at a piece for ages! #CulturedKids

7. Mirka Moore 16/09/2016 at 10:30 #

Will keep in mind once we go SanFran one day. Agree that free entry for under 18 is a great encouragement to get youngsters into art. Fab article Susanna!

• Susanna 18/09/2016 at 17:43 #

My girls loved going!

8. Kara Guppy 13/09/2016 at 13:34 #

That looks like a really interesting place to visit and so lovely that they cater for all age groups. I would be in photography heaven

• Susanna 18/09/2016 at 17:44 #

That’s what the girls loved doing – taking photos and videos and posting on social media.

9. Cass Bailey 13/09/2016 at 13:08 #

What an amazing place and how great that they loan out the seats to you x x x

• Susanna 18/09/2016 at 17:45 #

My mother was so pleased to get the cane seat! It cam win very handy x

10. Sara-Jayne 12/09/2016 at 18:00 #

That’s such an amazing place – I have dreamed of seeing the Elvis capture! Gorgeous. I laughed when I saw your photographs because whenever we are in a gallery, I make my boys line up for a photo too – that way I can say that I tried to inject some culture into their lives when they look back through our albums!

11. Stephen 12/09/2016 at 09:37 #

It does look like a fascinating place to visit and so very Instagrammable too!

12. Emma | The Mini Mes and Me 11/09/2016 at 23:57 #

I really like that they loan chairs out for free! Some great artwork on display x

13. Ness 11/09/2016 at 07:37 #

It looks like a perfect building for modern art with its bright, airy galleries. How nice an art gallery appeals to every generation.
    Ness recently posted…Sunday Snap – The Sanctuary KnockerMy Profile

14. Louise 10/09/2016 at 20:13 #

This looks like a great place for all the family – the chair/walking stick is inspriational! San Francisco is my husband’s favourite city but i haven’t made it there yet. I love Modern Art so will have to check this place out when we do go! x

15. Nell (the Pigeon Pair and Me) 10/09/2016 at 16:10 #

Your sister’s lunch sounds delicious! SF MoMA sounds fascinating, and I love the fact that they’ve made it welcoming to both young and old.
    Nell (the Pigeon Pair and Me) recently posted…A sneak peek inside a Siblu three-bedroom Elegance mobile homeMy Profile

16. Jayne Crammond 10/09/2016 at 11:10 #

Looks like a photographers paradise! It’s unusual to find somehwere which can be interesting for young and old alike, but this looks like it finds the perfect balance for the whole family. I’ve never been to San Francisco, but this would definitely be on my list pf places to visit if I ever make it over there.