San Jose and the new Steve Jobs film

2 Flares Filament.io 2 Flares ×

Last weekend I caught a preview of the new Steve Jobs film, courtesy of Visit California.

Perhaps I know too much about Steve Jobs and Silicon Valley to have an unbiased opinion. I grew up in the Bay Area during the time much of this was happening. It was a special time when Silicon Valley was the cradle of technology innovation. Mix Northern California’s “we learn from mistakes” attitude with lots of really smart, quirky, unaffected people and you get some cool stuff. Xerox PARC. Hewlett-Packard. Apple. During that time so much came out of that valley (the capitol of which is San Jose, btw, but more on that later.)

Innovation attracts money and the Venture Capitalists moved in. And then the start-ups and the jobs. Oh, the jobs. With great perks too. I can’t complain, I had one of them and through it met my husband.

Back to this weekend and the preview. The journalist next to me watching the film was not an insider. He was fascinated by the story and the Steve Jobs character. “Was he really like that?” he whispered, while typing notes about the film on his iPad. “I think so. Probably. Did you read the book?” (The Steve Jobs personality comes through loud and clear there too).

Job’s wife tried to stop the film coming out. Some people think it is a character assignation. But answer this: Where are you reading this post? Your iPhone? An Android which now looks like an iPhone? Via an app on your tablet? Clicking on your laptop via the graphical user interface? (GUIs btw are so baked in technology these days most people gloss over it. It’s like saying you breathe in air.)

You should see the film. It illustrates how anything can happen in Silicon Valley.

And while you are at it … check out this video from Team San Jose. Voted “Healthiest,” “Happiest” and “Smartest” City in the US, if you want to be privy to what makes Silicon Valley so special – put San Jose on your travel bucket list. It’s a very cool place.

2 Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 0 Filament.io 2 Flares ×

15 Responses to San Jose and the new Steve Jobs film

1. Mama Herself 21/01/2016 at 20:39 #

I make a point of never trying to find out much about famous people I admire as they invariably turn out to out to be, well, to be disappointingly failiable rather than wholey admirable creatures, but luckily Steve Jobs isn’t someone I have much feeling about one way or the other. I must say I am not sure I would believe in a film about someone responsible for Apple’s success who was a paragon of virtue anyway, as I’d imagine that a certain amount of ruthless drive for perfection would have been necessary.

2. I didn’t know anything much about San Jose so I found your piece really interesting. I’d love to go hiking in those woods…
    Clare Thomson (Suitcases and Sandcastles) recently posted…City Breaks With Kids: SevilleMy Profile

3. Wander Mum 20/01/2016 at 07:18 #

How fascinating to have spent time in the Silicon Valley area when it was all kicking off! Still haven’t seen the film but will do sharpish. I love Michael Fassbender – he’s an amazing actor. San Jose has now been added to my ever-expanding travel list. Thanks for linking to #citytripping

4. Shobha 19/01/2016 at 22:42 #

I refused to join the Apple bandwagon for a long time but then when I did. I was a complete believer. Just love the way form meets function. I’ll have to see the new movie. I’m sure the man had his issues – most geniuses do.
    Shobha recently posted…Around the World with the Star Wars Costumes ExhibitMy Profile

5. Cathy (MummyTravels) 19/01/2016 at 20:53 #

It’s funny, I’ve been looking at visiting San Francisco and that coast later this year but somehow I forget Silicon Valley is a real place, with real geography nearby. It’s almost as if it operates slightly outside of reality. Perhaps I shall have to tweak my plans for our road trip and squeeze San Jose in too! Thanks for linking up to #citytripping
    Cathy (MummyTravels) recently posted…City Tripping #10My Profile

6. Corey with fifi + hop 19/01/2016 at 18:43 #

Interesting post..I’ve been wanting to see the movie, and hear the book is great. A fascinating person and place for sure!

7. sara 19/01/2016 at 10:12 #

One of the great post and very good information

8. Nell@PigeonPairandMe.com 17/11/2015 at 12:41 #

I had no idea San Jose was such an outdoorsy place. The video really sells it – and then there’s the song ‘Do You Know the Way to San Jose’. It’s now added to my bucket list!
    Nell@PigeonPairandMe.com recently posted…The 50 States – Wide Eyed Editions book reviewMy Profile

9. Emma (@emvanstone) 06/11/2015 at 13:22 #

I have to admit to not knowing much about Silicon Valley at all, but I do find it intriguing.
    Emma (@emvanstone) recently posted…Getting back on the snow – skiing with kidsMy Profile

10. Cass@frugalfamily 04/11/2015 at 18:17 #

I’m really looking forward to watching this when it comes out – he as a very interesting man by all accounts x
    Cass@frugalfamily recently posted…15 ways to save money on your weekly shopping spend….My Profile

11. Oh he’s an interesting man, Steve Jobs and I look forward to watching the film. Didn’t recognize Kate Winslet there – had to go back and watch it again! Should I read the book first? Love San Jose film too. It’s now on the travel bucket list 🙂
    Anya from Older Single Mum and The Healer recently posted…A Tale of Two Funerals.My Profile

12. Nikki Thomas 03/11/2015 at 16:55 #

I found this post fascinating, I don’t really know much about Silicon Valley or Steve Jobs, but I would love to find out more now
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Tween dating for beginnersMy Profile

13. Emma 03/11/2015 at 16:41 #

Silicon Valley amazes me, as a sociology teacher I often discussed the area with my students. It certainly seems that success breeds success.
    Emma recently posted…Tears for schoolMy Profile

14. Liz Burton 03/11/2015 at 14:59 #

He certainly changed the way we live that’s for sure! It must have been so exciting living there while all these technological advances were happening.
    Liz Burton recently posted…Beer on the Bus with Friends of GlassMy Profile