This weekend a friend asked me to bring an appetiser dish to a party. I agreed immediately, not fully clocking how much I had on over the two days. I needed something simple and easy, that would look festive too.
I decided on an American party favourite: Mexican 7-layer dip, which requires no cooking. When these Mexican-themed ingredients are layered together, they’re gorgeous and yummy too. Make it in a clear dish so you can clearly see the refried beans, sour cream, avocado, tomatoes, cheese, tomato, spring onions and black olives.
There are loads of recipes out there (many use pre-prepared taco seasoning, which has lots of salt). This is my version, with ingredients you can easily purchase in the UK.
Serve it at your next party with a margarita and enjoy!
Here’s my 7-layer Mexican Dip I’m bring to a party later today! Want some? #yum #foodie #party #mexican #picoftheday #photooftheday
- 2 x 415 g tins refried beans
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 500 ml sour cream or creme fraiche
- 3 x large ripe avocados (chopped)
- 1 small lemon
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 250 g grated cheddar cheese
- 500 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 5 spring onions, chopped
- 240 g sliced black olives, drained
- 1. Choose your dish. I think it looks best when made in a clear dish (I used a 400 x 270mm Pyrex rectangle baking dish).
- 2. Open tins of refried beans and place in separate bowl. Mix in cumin and oregano. Spread on bottom of clear rectangle baking dish. Make sure to keep the sides clean (so you can see the layers).
- 3. Spread a layer of the sour cream/creme fraiche.
- 4. Dice the avocados. Put in a separate bowl with juice of 1/2 the lemon. Grate some zest and put that in too. Add in some chopped coriander and sprinkle over the sour cream.
- 5. Grate cheese and layer evenly over the avocado.
- 6. Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters and layer evenly on top of the cheese.
- 7. Sprinkle on the chopped onions.
- 8. Add the sliced olives.
- 9. Can top with some fresh cilantro.
- Keep a large spoon nearby so guests can scoop out their portion onto a plate. Serve with salted tortilla chips and a margarita! Ole!