A glimpse into the future

0 Flares Filament.io 0 Flares ×

6a00e55455c9358833017eeb0c7469970d-500wi

It’s quiet this morning. None of the usual arguing over shoes and hair bands. No asking for pancakes. No un-flushed toilets. Just silence, sweetened occasionally by late spring chirps. A clock ticking, car whirring, tummy rumbling.

Waiting.

The girls were all away this weekend. The youngest two at Brownie camp (oh the tears, that’s a whole other story) and the eldest at a sleepover.

I wonder. Have I somehow opened a door to my future? I’ve never really thought about what life will be like, when they leave. I lie. Of course I’ve thought about it. They are only young once you know! But I’ve never properly thought about it.

Have you?

Maybe I’m not quite ready to go there. Surely I’ve got 10 years of shoe arguments in store? I’m guessing boyfriend ones too.

Finally a text comes: We had great fun today BMXing and abseiling off a tall tower this afternoon. Just had tea and off to a campfire. The girls are really enjoying their first Brownie adventure.

BMXing? Abseiling?

Still, I wonder. Is this a glimpse into what’s to come?

PS – after briefly wallowing in sorrow, hubby and I took the opportunity take a walk in nearby Bluebell woods (see pic) and stop by a pub!

x

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Filament.io 0 Flares ×

7 Responses to A glimpse into the future

1. Mari 22/05/2013 at 21:54 #

Or you could do what I did and start all over again 🙂
    No, DON’T do that and yes, enjoy every single moment whilst it’s here

2. Melissa 13/05/2013 at 18:53 #

Depends on the day. Mostly I think I will feel like there is a huge hole in my life that I don’t know how to fill – and that is really sad. But on certain days I say: Bring the bloody hole on!

3. Expat Mum 13/05/2013 at 15:09 #

Nah – it’s rubbish. The ex-Queenager has finished college for the summer, but is only home for two weeks and then goes back to DC to do an internship. I won’t see her till Thanksgiving (end of Nov) unless I go there. Wah!

4. allotmentmum 13/05/2013 at 09:47 #

I thought I was the only one who obsessed over this – I feel a bit pathetic for dreading the time when the house is quiet (despite frequently craving moments of solitude.)
    Love bluebells, woods beckon.

5. It’s all double edged, isn’t it? I love the peace when mine are out, but it’s not too long until my heart aches for their return. And ‘when they leave?’ Not given that a thought, thank you very much 😉 Glad you’re enjoying your you time.

6. Kate on Thin Ice 12/05/2013 at 11:00 #

Seem to have spent the last 12 years thinking “I can’t cope with all this” and now realising the time they are with us is all too short and that I should proactively cherish every moment.
    Liked the little insight into your daily life and also totally loving the P.S.

7. Iota 12/05/2013 at 09:30 #

I think it might be quite nice… (Am I allowed to say that?) Though of course it will be a loss too.